How to Get Rid of Dark Circles Overnight
Many people suffer from dark circles under their eyes. They often try to cover them up with make-up but they still seem to shine through and be bothersome. But there are a number of home remedies that you can try and see improvements as quickly as overnight in the reduction of the color and appearance of dark under eye circles. An added benefit is that many of these home remedies also help to reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and puffiness around the area along with the dark circles.
Causes of Under Eye Circles
There are a number of different things that can cause under eye circles. Some medications are known to cause this, and may not be able to be remedied without a change of medication. However, under eye circles caused by stress, a lack of sleep, rubbing your eyes, dehydration, or allergies may be remedied by either treating the causes or by using one of the below mentioned natural remedies.
Lighten Dark Circles with Potatoes
There are a lot of vitamins and nutrients in potatoes. One thing many people do not realize though about potatoes is that they also have natural bleaching properties within them.
- Take a white baking potato and shred it using a box grater. Take the grated potato and squeeze out as much of the juice from it as you can. Then take the potato juice and dip a clean cotton ball into it. Gently rub the potato juice on your dark under eye circles. Let the potato juice set on the skin for a minimum of 15 minutes.
- For even better results, let the juice remain on your skin overnight and then wash it off in the morning. The potato juice will lighten the dark circles overnight, and with repeated use you will see even more improvement.
Reduce Under Eye Puffiness and Circles with Tea
- Brew a cup of green tea or chamomile tea. Then let it cool to room temperature. Once it is cool, take a cotton ball and dip it in the tea. Place the tea soaked cotton ball on the under eye area for ten minutes.
- Another option is to drink the tea, but remember to save the tea bag. While you are enjoying your tea, and the tea bag has had time to cooled off, you can then place them on the eyes and allow them to sooth the area. This will help to relieve the puffiness and reduce the appearance of under eye circles.
Refresh Your Eyes With Rose Water
Rose water is usually available at many health food stores and in some pharmacies. It is also a common ingredient in a number of beauty and health products. Simply place a couple of drops of rose water on a cotton ball and then apply the rose water to the area under the eyes. It will help to lighten the dark circles and tone up the skin. As a result, your eyes will be soothes and feel refreshed.
Tomatoes Have Healing Properties
- There are a number of skin care remedies that use fresh tomatoes or pureed tomatoes to help heal and soothe the skin. They are know for helping to revitalize the area around the eye. They are packed full of nutrients, including Vitamin C.
- To use tomatoes, simple take a tomato and puree it in either a blender or food processor. If possible, use an organic tomato as it is free of pesticides and from being treated with other chemicals. Once the tomato is pureed, take the paste and apply it to the area under the eye. Or you can even go a step further and apply the puree to your entire face like a facial mask.
- Let it sit on your skin for at least fifteen minutes before rinsing it off with warm water and the patting your face dry. You will immediately see how the tomato has helped to brighten up your skin and reduced the color of your under eye circles.
Heal with Honey
- Honey has been used to treat a number of ailments for years. Treating under eye circles is just one of the many things it can help to alleviate. Look for raw honey. Then take a small amount of honey and apply it in a very thin layer on your under eye area.
- Take extra care not to get the sticky honey on your eyelashes. Let the honey remain on your eyes for at least twenty minutes.
- If you do not toss and turn when sleeping, you could even leave it on overnight. When ready to remove it, rinse the area clean with warm water to help remove any of the sticky residue. You will find the area under your eyes has been lightened.
- Cucumbers can do a lot to help soothe. Besides being a cool and refreshing snack or salad topping, they also work great for refreshing your eyes. This eye care treatment is probably one of the most well known home remedies.
- There are countless commercials and movies with ladies at the spa, relaxing in comfy robes, wearing a face mask, and cucumbers over their eyes. But this is not just a prop for movie scenes. It really does help to refresh the eyes.
- Take a cool cucumber, preferably an organic cucumber. Slice a couple of round circular slices off of the end and then place them over your eyes for at least fifteen minutes. It will help to reduce the puffiness around your eyes, leaving them refreshed.
- Another use for cucumbers is to take some slices of cucumber and put them in a pitcher of water. Allow them to infuse the water and you will also have a refreshing drink.
Note: This usually works better if you leave the peel on so the thin cucumber slices help to hold their shape.
Awaken Your Senses With Mint
- Mint can be very refreshing. The scent, taste, and the cooling sensation mint gives on the skin can really appeal to all of your senses. You can take a couple of fresh mint leaves and bruise them with your fingers gently. Then take the leaves or the juice that may come out of them and apply it to the area under you eyes.
- However, be extra careful not to get the mint into your eyes. It can make them water excessively and create a burning like sensation and discomfort. Let the mint stay on your skin for about thirty minutes before rinsing it off with warm water.
- You can also take a little bit of the mint, crush it between your fingers for a few seconds, and add it to your cucumber water mentioned above for an extra refreshing drink. The longer you let it sit in the water the stronger the cucumber and mint taste will be.
Note: Do not try to take a “short-cut” and use mint oil instead of fresh mint leaves. The oil is too concentrated and will result in a significant amount of irritation to the skin and the eyes.
Discover the Power of Aloe Vera
- Aloe has some of the most well known healing properties for home remedies. It has been used for decades to treat a number of skin ailments and inflammation from bite, to sun burns, to rashes. It also works wonders on the eye area, but make sure you are using pure aloe gel directly from the plant. It is much more effective.
- It has not been processed, and does not contain other chemicals like many of the over the counter aloe options. By taking a little bit of the gel and rubbing it into the area under your eyes, you will help to soothe the area, protect it from aging, and help to reduce the appearance of under eye circles.
Cold Milk is Refreshing
- You can use a few drops of cold milk on a cotton ball in place of eye cream. Simply massage the milk into the under eye area before bed at night. It will act as a natural moisturizer and help to refresh your under eye area. Higher fat versions of milk, like whole milk or even heavy cream, work best for these purposes. You can also take the milk and mix it with some other ingredients to see improvement.
- For instance, take a little bit of milk and mix it with honey. They apply it with a cotton swab, cotton ball, or your fingertips to the area just under your eyes for at least fifteen minutes or overnight. Then rinse the residue from the treatment off of your eyes with some warm water.
Over the Counter Products
If you look at the ingredients of many of the over the counter products available, you will likely see a large number of these natural remedies listed. This is because for decades, these simple remedies have been used by women to treat dark circles under the eyes, puffiness, and wrinkles. Many of these ingredients also are fairly inexpensive, especially if they are already in your kitchen. If looking for an eye treatment product, consider choosing one that has one or more of these same remedies in the ingredients.